5 Top HR Modules for ERP Systems
A growing number of businesses are adopting ERP systems in order to give their departments accurate and accessible shared data. HR isn't being left out of the loop. In fact, most major ERP vendors now offer their customers HR modules that help automate an array of tasks while generating crucial data for enterprise planning and optimization.
1. Infor HCM (Human Capital Management): Designed for use with Infor's ERP, Infor HCM is a Web-enabled offering that brings a variety of capabilities to the table — perhaps even more features than the average business needs. The module has support for multiple languages, currencies, tax definitions, benefits, security configurations and platforms. It consists of three basic components:
- Resource Management: Features here include benefits administration, payroll , FSAs and compensation.
- Work-Force Management: This component aims to help HR departments cost-effectively handle complex work-force management challenges. It includes scheduling, time and attendance, absence handling and performance support.
- Talent Management: This part of the module provides work-force development capabilities that are focused on recruitment , learning, employee performance and competency management. Succession-planning capabilities are also provided.
Verdict: This is a well-rounded, highly capable module that's suitable for just about any business. Infor HCM takes advantage of Web technology to provide an ERP HR module that can be instantly updated and easily scaled.
2. Sage Accpac HRMS (Human Resource Management System): As a part of Sage Software Inc.'s Sage Pro ERP, Sage Accpac HRMS provides support for a variety of HR tasks, including benefits, training, recruiting and compliance. The module offers a flexible design that lets users select their own database platform, including SQL or MSDE (Microsoft Desktop Engine).
Sage Accpac HRMS also includes powerful reporting and analysis tools that provide customized insight on almost any HR issue. Hundreds of standard report templates are included. An integrated database is designed to feed a steady flow of information to managers and staff.
Verdict: This solution is a good choice that gives users a voice in its design and operation. It's tailored for midsize manufacturing businesses.
3. SAP ERP HCM: SAP AG's highly regarded ERP offers SAP ERP HCM, a versatile and extremely scalable HR module. The solution is designed to give companies in virtually all industries a full selection of HR tools.
The software can automate virtually all fundamental, and most advanced, HR processes, including employee administration, payroll and reporting. The product supports compliance with both global and local regulations. Other features include talent management , performance measurements and real-time insight into just about any HR trend.
Verdict: SAP ERP Human Capital Management sets a goal to which other ERP HR module vendors can only aspire. On the other hand, the product is overkill for most SMBs. In any event, it's truly the Rolls-Royce of ERP HR modules.
4. Oracle HRMS: Oracle Corp.'s HRMS is designed to automate practically every HR-department function. The company described its mission as, "The complete recruit-to-retire process." A single integrated data model aims to supply a fast, immediate and accurate view of HR-related activities, including recruiting, payroll, benefits, performance management, learning, compensation, time management and real-time analytics.
Oracle's HR product is comparable in many ways to SAP's module in scope and breadth, although Oracle advocates would claim that their favorite software is more flexible and easier to use.
Verdict: Oracle HRMS is thorough and highly capable, but not suitable for smaller businesses.
5. Microsoft Axapta Human Resource Management III: Compatible with the Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP and building on HR support provided by Axapta versions I and II, this module supplies features that support the career development of individual employees — a capability overlooked by many other HR modules.
The software aims to help businesses create professional development plans focused on employee's goals and skills. Features include a "competence framework" with a development process that incorporates personal interviews, training curriculums, skills matching, skill-gap analysis and other components. The software's various processes are collaborative and allow follow-up from employees and managers to improve dialogue between the two groups.
Verdict: Microsoft Corp. isn't exactly renowned for its innovative application software, but Microsoft Axapta Human Resource Management III is a pleasing exception to the rule.
VoIP's savings and return on investment (ROI) appear very lucrative. However, any experienced player will be able to confirm that there are many hidden costs that most users may not come to know till late in the rollout. Don't learn the hard way: read this infographic! more
The superior audio and video quality of room-based systems gives users a comfortable video conferencing experience that feels just like being in a normal meeting. Check out our room-based video conferencing comparison guide that lists the top providers and solutions for your review! more
Many businesses stretch their phone systems to the very end, trying to extract every bit of value before they trade it in. But this approach can hurt their business rather than help them stretch their dollars. What are the signs you're phone system is ready for retirement? Read our infographic! more
Desktop VC allows employees across the world to interact with each other, and with their suppliers, customers and partners, while sparing the high costs of room-based solutions and scheduling problems of travel. Check our new comparison guide that compares the top 17 leading vendors! more
If you’re selecting or implementing a new phone system soon, prepare yourself for the inevitable surprises. Based on a project manager's experience, our new infographic gives you an honest look into the successes and challenges at every stage of the phone systems implementation process. more